Governance Best Practices Scale
For each practice in place below, organizations receive one point; scores are then aggregated and averaged on a 10-point scale.
1. Board performs a regular review of bylaws (annual or every two years)
2. A non-partisan, objective process is in place for recruiting, nominating and electing board and committee members and officers
3. Term limits are applied to board member service and officer terms
4. The Board and/or a designated committee reviews 990 before submission annually.
5. The Board reviews and approves the organization’s budget annually.
6. An independent financial audit is conducted
7. The organization has a written conflict of interest policy, a conflict of interest questionnaire is completed at least annually by board of directors and issues are reviewed, raised and discussed
8. The organization has a written whistleblower policy
9. The Board or a committee of the board provides an annual performance review for the executive director/CEO and ensures reasonable compensation based on documented standard.
10. Meeting minutes, documenting votes taken and instances where conflict of interest policy has been invoked, are recorded and approved by the board following the meeting(s).